If I told you that there was a program available right now that would hand you up to $20,000 for the down payment on a Louisville home, and not require you to pay it back, would you be interested? I’m talking about the National Housing Fund, or NHF. A very popular down payment assistance grant program on the West Coast, the NHF was recently brought to our side of the country, and there are only a few lenders in Louisville who can help you with it. Local lenders who I trust and have great relationships with.
WHAT’S THE CATCH?
There’s not really a “catch”. There are some qualification guidelines, but nothing that seems outrageous. What’s the worst that could happen? You don’t qualify and you can’t buy a house that you weren’t going to buy anyway. The guidelines are specific to each Kentucky county, so if you’re planning to buy a Louisville home at any point this year, you will want to get the ball rolling on this sooner than later. Here’s what I know:
- The National Housing Fund is a non-repayable grant that is NOT a second mortgage. Other down payment assistance programs that you may have heard a lot about lately, mainly Kentucky Housing Corporation’s “DAP”, actually finances the down payment into a 10 year note, kind of like a second mortgage.
- Depending on what you qualify for, NHF will give you up to 5% of the purchase price of your new home, not to exceed $20,850.
- There are no minimum buyer contributions, so you’re not actually required to bring money for a down payment as long as your grant is enough to cover everything.
- The NFH can be applied to Conventional, FHA, USDA, and VA loans.
- You cannot make more than $73,715 per year (Jefferson and Oldham Counties) or $83,835 per year (Shelby County)
- You must have a minimum 640 credit score
- The NHF is NOT limited to first time home buyers, but available to all who qualify each and every time you buy a home.
- You cannot own any other homes at the time of closing.
As a Realtor, I am blown away by this down payment assistance grant program. It will boost home affordability in Louisville, and create more Louisville home buyers, who previously might not have been able to purchase. Let’s face it, it’s hard to have $20,000, $10,000, or even $5,000 just laying around to use for a down payment. The NHF will fix that for you. If you have steady income, and decent credit, but just can’t muster the funds for a down payment, the National Housing Fund is for you! If you have steady income, decent credit, and you actually have the funds to put down on a home, but you’d rater keep that money for a rainy day, The National Housing Fund is also for you! Free money is free money, why not use it to invest in Louisville real estate?
HOW DO I START?
I would love to help you find your next home or your first home. As an experienced Louisville Realtor, I can help you navigate through the intense process of buying a home in Louisville. I can also connect you with a fantastic local loan professional who will help get you qualified for a loan, and the NHF grant. Call or email me today and I will start working for you – 502.509.9278 – firstname.lastname@example.org